Monday, May 14, 2012

Dracula and 1984

I have been thinking about our little speed dating activity from Friday and some of the ideas that Jennifer was toying with for her paper. One point she made was about how good the central characters are and how black and white the fight between good and evil is between the Harkers, Van Helsing, and the others with Dracula. In the end, good triumphs over evil. The conclusion of 1984 is not such a happy ending. Winston is broken in the end and becomes a mindless follower of the Party and Big Brother.

As I was thinking about these points, I was sent a link to a review of 1984 by a friend of mine from back East. Here is the link. This blog mainly focussed on the control that government can have over the media and its citizens through enforcing a hegemonic system. These systems are enforced through the use of both ISAs (school, religion, and family) and aslo RSAs (military and police). My focus turns away strictly from how governments can be oppressive, but turns to this fight between good and evil that Jennifer brought up on Friday. I am really interested in examining the connection between personal expression through digital media, like blogging, and Winston's use of the diary throughout the book. Basically, I want to explore how blogging has influenced change, or how it has the potential to do so.









           











Along with my studies of how blogging has affected the world, I would like to find examples of print literature where personal views were expressed, such as the ideas of Objectivism in Rand's books, to see how ideologies that are expressed to a wide audience create followers. In the digital age this can be measured by looking at how many people follow blogs and subscribe to websites. I am interested in what kinds of ideas generate the greatest following on the Web and if they are moving our world forward or holding it back. I'm still brainstorming so it will be interesting to see where my thoughts flow next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment